Monday, July 09, 2007

Its Nice to Know that Some People Get Me

I have felt for the longest time that some people don't get me. And its not just that they don't get me, its that they don't TRY to understand where I'm coming from. And its frustrating.

When I talk scrapbooking, they just laugh and call me a nerd. And say things like "I thought scrapbooking was an old lady's hobby?"

When I talk travel, they say things like "Why would you go to Russia of all places?" or "Damn, it sounds expensive to go to (insert place). I would never spend that much money on a vacation!"

When I ask friends to vacation with me to places such as Bolivia, or Spain, or anywhere that involves getting on a plane, they avoid giving me straight answers. Or pretend they are interested, and never follow through.

When I talk about going to school overseas, they say things like "why would you go overseas, when the US has the best schools?"

When I told people that I was moving to Maryland, and god-forbid with a boy, I felt shunned. Apparently its frowned upon to grow up and be in a serious relationship.

I'm not talking about one person in general. Or even a group of people. These are just things that I have been thinking about lately. And things that have been frustrating me for quite some time now. I feel like I've learned to accept people for who they are. We are never going to agree with everyone. Or even have the same likes and dislikes. That's just life.

This weekend made me think about these things even more. Because I got to see two amazing people. I hungout with Vee on Saturday in Georgetown. And our common love for Paper Source and Anthropologie was refreshing.

And then I saw Claudia later on that day. I have really missed her since she's been in Italy. But, I didn't realize how much until Saturday. Our conversations are just perfect. She gets me. And I get her. She understands where I'm coming from. And even if she doesn't, she respects my decisions and is supportive of everything I do. I am supposed to be in Italy with her right now. That was our dream. To study overseas together (again). I'm happy she's there, living her dream. I guess my living overseas dream will come soon enough. I have decided there needs to be more good conversations in my life. Like the ones I had with Vee, Claudia, and with Jodi last week. And the kinds I have with my mom every Sunday. Yep, good conversations. Keep them coming people. I leave you with a random picture of me and Claudia, circa August 2005.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I feel the same way! Although my life has change rather dramatically now that we have a baby...fewer "big" plans and more long-term plans. Hope you continue to make your travel plans unhindered by public opinion! You rock!

Vee said...

aww....Nat!! We had a blast, didn't we!! I totally feel that way too esp. with my sister and I and now you :)

EliseBlaha said...

moving to maryland to live with a boy was a very good idea. you rock!

Michelle said...

I so understand how you feel.. but don't give up your dreams of travel and studying overseas. One day you will meet a friend who totally gets you.

Shelly Brewer said...

I think everyone feels this way at one time or another! Glad you got to hang with some cool people! I'm super jealous about you getting to hang with Vee!!he,he!! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with those feelings..

RachelDenbow said...

Feel validated!

At least you're not hiding those things because you're worried that people won't get them. That'd be even worse.

And, thanks for sharing all of that. Its good to read in the scrapping world.